Best computer keyboard
Keyboards come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, so what is the best computer keyboard? Each keyboard can be wired or wireless, backlit, not lit, come with handwriting recognition, and also can be compact for easy travel. A comfortable keyboard will not only help you carry out your work effectively but with the latest choice of ergonomic designs they will also look after your hand and wrist welfare.
Have a look at some of the current keyboards on offer and choose what is right for you.
Redragon S101 Wired Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo RGB Backlit Gaming Keyboard with Multimedia Keys Wrist Rest and Red Backlit Gaming Mouse 3200 DPI for Windows PC Gamers (Black)
- Gaming or office work just became a bit more fun with this backlit keyboard
- The keys are laser engraved so can withstand a lot of use and still be read clearly
- Different RGB lighting modes and effects so you can change the colors to suit your mood
- Keycaps offer clear uniform backlighting
- With a sleek ergonomic design, the keyboard also provides quiet keystroke
- The keyboard can withstand an average liquid spill
- WIN keys can be disabled for gaming
- Comes with a wired gaming mouse with red LED lighting
Editor’s Choice: $$$
We found this keyboard was great for either general office use or gaming. From creating word documents to serious gamers the keyboard and combo set can be added quickly to your existing set-up. The lightweight keystrokes and quiet keystroke makes for easy and pleasant use – no clunky noises. Also, the backlit keyboard allows you to add a bit of individuality to your set-up.
Note: The mouse only comes with a red backlight which may not complement your choice of color on the keyboard.
Logitech MK540 Advanced Wireless Keyboard and Wireless M310 Mouse Combo
- This full-size wireless keyboard comes with adjustable tilt legs which helps reduce wrist pain as you can choose whether to choose it flat or tilted. And there is a decent palm rest area too.
- The ambidextrous mouse is perfectly shaped and fits nicely in your hand. It is also covered with a rubber grip that allows you smooth control of the mouse. No more jittery cursor movements.
- There is a fantastic battery life on the keyboard of up to 36 months, and the wireless mouse for up to 18 months. Now that will certainly allow for some work to be done!
- Built-in hotkeys provide direct access to media, calculator, and battery check functions.
- Plug and play – simple to set up.
- The Unified USB receiver provides a reliable, encrypted connection up to 10m away. Now that’s a good distance.
- Compatible with: Windows 10 or later, Windows 8, Windows 7, Chrome OS.
Editor’s Choice: $$
Best value product recommendation
This keyboard and mouse set was a great choice to replace my old one, so I have had plenty of time to check it out for this review. The keyboard uses a UK QWERTY layout and is quiet to use – no heavy clunky noises when typing. Sturdy base materials for the keyboard so should last a long time.
The mouse can feel a bit on the light side, but can be used by right or left-handed users.
Best value product
Dell Multi-Device Wireless Keyboard and Mouse – KM7120W
- Seamlessly connect to three PCs. The two Bluetooth 5.0 and 2.4GHz wireless connection methods allow you to switch easily across your laptop, desktop, or 2-in-1 with a click of a button.
- Instantly pair each device with your compatible Windows 10 system via Bluetooth without having to configure it each time.
- With a stunning 36 months of battery life, it lasts 3 times longer than its previous generation.
- Rapid responses via the 1600 DPI sensor helps you navigate effortlessly, especially across your high-resolution 4K screen. And the optical sensor on the mouse offers accurate tracking and is ideal for use on most desk surfaces.
- Also, you can tilt the keyboard to your desired angle to allow you to type comfortably.
- Program shortcuts for your keyboard and mouse for quick navigation to your preferred applications.
Nulea Wireless Keyboard and Mouse ComboFull-Sized 2.4GHz Wireless Keyboard with Comfortable Palm Rest，6 Multimedia Shortcuts & 3 Adjustable DPI Mouse for Windows/Mac OS
- Ergonomic wireless keyboard and mouse
- Full-sized keyboard layout and micro-arc keycap design
- Large palm rest area
- 2.4g stable wireless connection
- 3-level adjustable wireless mouse
- Plug and play – simple to set up
- Multiple shortcut keys to allow greater productivity
CHERRY Stream Keyboard Wired USB SX Scissors Mechanism QWERTY Whisper-Quiet Silent Keystroke for Home Office, Work or Personal Computer. Black
- The latest edition of the successful classic keyboard has extended functionality, a quiet keystroke, and a modern appearance.
- Whether in the office or at home: the cable keyboard is the perfect workhorse for every working environment.
- High quality: Durable key lettering, in-house CHERRY SX scissor mechanism, Blue Angel eco-label
- Best operating comfort: 3 integrated status displays, perfect non-slip surface, 10 office & multimedia keys.
- Modern design: Flat overall height, focused on the essentials, GS approval
So to recap
- Redragon S101 Wired Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo RGB Backlit Gaming Keyboard with Multimedia Keys Wrist Rest and Red Backlit Gaming Mouse 3200 DPI for Windows PC Gamers (Black)
Gaming or office work just became a bit more fun with this backlit keyboard. There are 7 different RGB lighting modes and effects to choose from. Keycaps offer clear uniform backlighting. Ergonomic design. The keyboard can withstand average liquid spills. WIN key can be disabled for gaming. Wired gaming mouse.
- Logitech MK540 Advanced Wireless Keyboard and Wireless M310 Mouse Combo — Full Size Keyboard and Mouse, Long Battery Life, Caps Lock Indicator Light, Hot Keys, Secure 2.4GHz Connectivity (MK540)
If you are looking for comfort, precision, and accuracy have a look at the Logitech MK540 Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo. The mouse has been designed for use by left or right-handed users. And the full-sized keyboard and mouse connect easily to media devices even at distances of up to 10 meters. By using the small Logitech Unifying USB receiver, you get an instant plug-and-play connection.
- Dell Multi-Device Wireless Keyboard and Mouse – KM7120W
Great functionality allows you to pair devices and program shortcut keys for your keyboard and mouse, all with long-lasting battery life.
- Nulea Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Combo, Full-Sized 2.4GHz Wireless Keyboard with Comfortable Palm Rest，6 Multimedia Shortcuts & 3 Adjustable DPI Mouse for Windows/Mac OS
Ergonomic wireless keyboard and mouse. Full-sized keyboard layout and micro-arc keycap design Palm rest 2.4g stable wireless connection. 3-level adjustable wireless mouse. Plug and play. Multiple shortcut keys.
- CHERRY Stream Keyboard Wired USB SX Scissors Mechanism QWERTY Whisper-Quiet Silent Keystroke for Home Office, Work or Personal Computer. Black
The latest model offers classic convenience with extended functionality with quiet keystrokes and a modern appearance. This is suitable for home or office use. Durable key lettering. om-house CHERRY SX scissor mechanism. Best operating comfort. non-slip surface.
If you will be using your keyboard on a regular basis it is best to spend a bit of time selecting the right model. This will ensure you can spend many hours typing, gaming, etc. in comfort.
Things to consider when choosing your keyboard:
- Connection – USB or wireless
- Length of cable/range of Wi-Fi
- Ergonomic or standard style
- Backlit or non-backlit
- Quick switch controls
- With or without accessories
Note: All products fitted with electrical plugs are designed for use in the USA. Outlets and voltage differ internationally and this product may require an adapter or converter for use in your destination. Please check compatibility before purchasing.
There are many areas of setting up your office that you need to consider – have a look at other equipment recommendation topics that you might find interesting.