How to become a Virtual Assistant for free
How do you become a Virtual assistant for free? Okay, so you want to become a Virtual Assistant, also known as a Remote Worker, but you are unsure how to get started, well look no further. Let us share with you free hints, tips and inside information on how you can set yourself up as a Virtual Assistant / Remote Worker and start running your own business.
What actually is a Virtual Assistant?
The best way to think about it is a Virtual Assistant is someone who runs their own business and sells their services remotely to other organisations and individuals, this can be on an agreed hourly rate, a daily rate, a per project basis, or a contract basis.
- Who? – anyone can learn how to become a VA, from experienced admin professionals looking to change career to stay at home mum’s wanting to get back into the workforce.
- What ? – what do you need to know to become a VA? You have already taken the first step by finding assistantadvice.com
- When? – now is the perfect time to become a VA as more of us become familiar with digital/virtual/remote working during these unprecedented times.
- Where? – there is no restriction on where you are located in the world to become a VA – from global locations to your dining table or home office the choice is yours.
- Why? – if you are looking for a new challenge, want to be self-employed, or have a better work/life balance then read on to find you out how can become a VA.
What do the do?
A Virtual Assistant has the option to carry out remote work, operate on their own, work as a sub-contractor with other Virtual Assistants on small projects, or team up with larger Virtual Assistant Teams who have the responsibility for sourcing and delegating the work.
They carry out a wide range of tasks remotely – think of a Secretary, Executive Assistant, Personal Assistant, Administrative Officer – if the work can be done in an office then it can be done remotely. As a VA you are free to work from any location and are no longer restricted to working in a city centre office or indeed working in a specific country – think virtual offices, hot-desking or working from a home office, or any location in the world.
Other names can be used to describe a Virtual Assistant such as Remote Worker, On-line Assistant or Freelancer.
Why should I become a Virtual Assistant?
There are many reasons why people choose to become a Virtual Assistant:
- The thrill of running your own business
- The ability to offer a niche service
- Provide a service to a niche market
- The option to set your own hours
- The power to choose what work to undertake
- No involvement in the office politics
- No office commute required
- More control over your work/life/family balance
What do I need to become a Virtual Assistant?
Like any job, whether based in an office ore remote, you will need the tools of the trade. You may already have some of the items listed below, and it also depends on the type of services you are going to offer, but here are a few to start you off.
- A dedicated working area
- IT equipment
- Fast internet connection
Have a look at a more in-depth article on how to set up your home office for further advice.
How do Virtual Assistants get clients?
You have set up your office and now you want to focus on getting your first client. Is there a demand for virtual assistants? Well you will be pleased to learn that the global demand for Virtual Assistants continues to grow. This is because the opportunity for remote work has increased as businesses look at ways to continue operating post-Covid and organisations become more comfortable outsourcing aspects of their work.
Using a Virtual Assistant can also help drive down costs for businesses as there is no longer the need to pay a staff salary, along with all the other issues surrounding staff employment such as sick pay, training, supply of equipment, office space. etc.
Have a read through the article on how to get more clients to discover more.
Whatever your motivation or desire to start your own business as a Virtual Assistant now is the time to give it a go!
There has never been a better time to explore working as a Virtual Assistant. Remote work is on the increase and with the latest technology at our fingertips new ways of providing online professional services are being developed daily. Go on – give it a go.
New articles on how to become a virtual assistant for free will be added soon. Remember to check back regularly to find out more.