Which is the best external hard drive? We all dread the thought of losing precious data/images/work, so what is the best way to protect it? Choose the best portable external hard drive to ensure you always have your data safely backed-up. Choose from SSD, HDD or even cloud storage – but don’t leave it until its too late!
- A fantastic 5TB of storage on this slimline WD My Passport Portable external hard drive
- Backup software included – Note: Download and install software for controlling the backup with password protection
- Run backups automatically or add to your schedule
- PC and Mac compatible (Mac requires reformat)
- Use for game storage for PlayStation and Xbox
- USB 3.0 – HDMI
- 256-Bit AES Hardware Encryption for added security
- 3 colors to choose from
- 3 year limited warranty included
Editor’s choice: $$$
Top product recommendation
A massive 5TB of storage for a few pounds more than some of the smaller storage options is a great find in our view. This will keep your files, games, photos and data safe for year’s to come without the need to purchase larger drives offering more storage space. The password protection feature ensures safety when transporting the hard drive. And the added bonus of being able to run back-ups automatically or add them to your schedule of back-ups is a great feature.
Having to format the drive for use on some products can be a bit of a pain, but you only need to do it once.
A great product for the price.
- Armor A60 external hard drive which meets US Military standards for drop protection
- Water-Resistant – IPX4 Splash Resistant from all angles for at least 5 minutes (not to be submerged)
- Cable Management Design – Brilliant wrap -around USB 3.0 cable storage design allowing everything to be carefully and neatly stored for transport
- Super fast transfer speed using the USB 3.0 (USB 3.1 Gen 1) cable
- Works with PCs and Macs, Xbox and PS4 (reformatting required for Mac users)
- 3 different colors to choose from
Editor’s choice: $$
Best value product recommendation
This external hard drive has a lot going for it. The military grade anti-shock drop protection is perfect for those that are on the move. And the water-resistant protection means you don’t have to worry abut spills, beach spray, splashes by the pool or getting caught in heavy rain. The cable management design also allows for easy transport for those on the go.
Again a bit of a pain having to reformat for some devices – but you only do it once!
A great price for this 2TB storage device and a good range of colors to choose from.
Best value product
- Fantastic range of storage options available – from 2TB up to 5TB – we will focus on the 4TB version
- Works with Windows® and Mac® – simply plug & play then just drag and drop your files (Mac reformat required)
- 1 year of Rescue Data Recovery Services included
- Powered by USB 3.0 connection – cable provided
- The Seagate portable is only 18 inches (45.72cm) in size so easy to transport
- Plug into the front of the PlayStation 4 for instant access to 4TB of storage
- Simple to use with a mid-range price
- USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 compatible – easily connect to your PC
- 3 storage size options – 1TB, 2TB, 4TB
- Automatic backup and password protection software – needs to be downloaded (Windows PC only)
- Suitable for Mac, PlayStation and Xbox – formatting required
- Textured surface and slim design – suitable for those on the go, or will sit nicely on your desk
- Reputable brand
- 4 colors to choose from
- Wide range of storage sizes – from 1TB up to 5TB – we will look at the 2TB device
- USB 3.1 Interface that works with PC, Mac, Linux (reformat for Mac required)
- IP68 Waterproof, tested for 60 minutes in 2 meter of water so no worries if this gets dropped in the pool or the ocean
- IP68 Military-Grade Shockproof so can take a few knocks during your travels
- IP6X Dustproof for those travelling on dusty roads
- Range of colors to choose from
- Also suitable for gamers of Xbox and PlayStation games (reformat may be required)
So to recap
- WD 5TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive – Complete with backup software and password protection
My Passport 5TB portable storage allows easy transfer of files, data, images, videos and games when you are on the go. 256-Bit AES Hardware Encryption to protect your files when device being transported. Run backups automatically or set schedules.
- Silicon Power 2 TB Rugged Armor A60 Shockproof Water-Resistant 2.5-Inch USB 3.1
All-round protection in a tough military grade durable enclosure. Water resistant and shockproof so great for remote workers, or digital nomads, and those on the move.
- Seagate Portable, 4 TB, External Hard Drive HDD, Black, USB 3.0 for PC, Mac, Xbox & PlayStation – 1 yr Rescue Service
A fantastic 4TB of space on this Seagate portable drive. External hard drive via HDD with a USB 3.0 cable for easy connection to your Mac, PC, Xbox or PlayStation. Great selection of storage options to choose from – 2TB up to 6TB.
- Toshiba Canvio Advance 4TB Portable external hard drive
Textured external hard drive from Toshiba. With automatic backups, scheduling options and password protection this is a device suitable for those moving around and who need an added layer of security.
- ADATA HD710 Pro 1TB USB 3.1 IP68 Waterproof/Shockproof/Dustproof Ruggedized External Hard Drive, Black (AHD710P-1TU31-CBK)
A sturdy rugged device built to take knocks’ and shakes with its military-grade toughness. Waterproof and dustproof protection also make this device suitable for travellers, digital nomads. Can also be used by gamers for storing Xbox and PlayStation data.
Note: Products with electrical plugs are designed for use in the US. Outlets and voltage differ internationally and this product may require an adapter or converter for use in your destination. Please check compatibility before purchasing.
The choice of external hard drives is continuing to grow as we consume more data, create more videos and images and want to protect our information securely. Whilst we have looked at these external hard drives which are easy to use and are transportable don’t forget you could also look at cloud storage. Cloud storage would allow you to login and access your data from anywhere in the world.
If you want something closer to home, but also something you can use outside the home, then make sure to consider the following points before making your purchase.
Things to consider:
- Size of storage space
- Waterproof, shockproof, anti scratch
- Wireless/NFC options
- Memory cards or USB flash drives
- Encryption options
- Automatic backup or scheduling features