Best audio transcription foot pedals
Hi there, welcome to my reviews on the best available audio transcription foot pedals. There are many currently on the market to choose from, so let’s get started.
As you know a digital foot pedal is an essential piece of equipment when undertaking audio transcription work, after all, you wouldn’t expect a surgeon to work without a scalpel, and audio typists are no different – they need the right equipment to do their job! So, we have put together some of the best audio-transcribing pedals on the market for you to have a look at.
I actually use an audio foot pedal myself so I really enjoyed carrying out the research for this. So, let’s get straight into the products and you will see why they have made my selection.
Transcription foot pedals and kits for audio typists
Looking for a transcription foot pedal and headset, or just a foot pedal? Let us take a look and see which one suits you.
- Express Scribe is a full professional audio transcription package, complete with software for PC or Mac
- Compatible with all Olympus Digital Voice Recorders, Philips Voice recorders, Sony voice Recorders, and more.
- Works with Microsoft Word and all major word-processors
- Comes complete with foot control and a headset
- Works on Windows 7, XP, Vista, and 8 and Mac OS X – 10.3 or above
- M4A, MSV. DVF, AMR, AIFF, MP4. MP3, WAV, WMA, DSS, AVI, MOV, WMV, and many more
- Allows you to transcribe audio, DVD & Video files with technical support available
Editors Choice: $$$
Top product recommendation
So if you need a complete professional audio transcription kit this is the one for you. Great customizable foot-pedal action. With the software, foot pedal, and earphones all in one box, it has everything you need to get started. All you need to do is just download the software, connect the foot pedal and earphones and you are ready to go. No further expensive outlay.
Slightly more expensive than buying a single audio foot pedal – but remember you are getting a complete kit.
- Infinity USB digital foot pedal control
- Control everything easily through your foot
- Sturdy and durable design and ultra-heavy-duty micro switches ensure countless hours of trouble-free performance
- Ergonomically designed the wide, central, sloping allows you to easily move your foot from play to the fast forward, and rewind switches
- This Infinity foot pedal allows you to rest your foot comfortably while you are transcribing.
- Works with the following software which you must download separately: WinScribe, Bighand, Express Scribe, and Chatterbox
Editors Choice: $$
Best value recommendation
If you already have software and only need an audio foot pedal then this is perfect for you. This is a great sturdy model that doesn’t slide across the floor. Good foot placement and key switches that can be customized, so no foot fatigue.
I personally use this model and have never had any issues – just plug and play.
Remember you will need to download software to listen to the audio files (there are some free basic versions online, but they have limitations). And also there will be an additional cost as you still need to purchase a suitable headset.
- Control any software directly with your feet
- Professional high-end foot switch
- Box contents: Olympus RS31H USB Foot Switch with 4 Pedals
- The Olympus RS31H USB Foot Pedal with 4 Pedals – This Professional footswitch incorporates 4 buttons that easily control not only Olympus dictation management software (ODMS, DSS Player Standard, Sonority) but also your preferred third-party software
- This is for use with Olympus Transcription Software only (AS-2400 or AS-7000 )
- Note: This does not work with Dictation Version or different Brand softwares
- The new ergonomic design of the foot switch provides much more comfort; hands-free control of all playback functions with minimal physical strain.
- It is also lightweight with under-chin stereo headphones with excellent sound quality and soft ear pads for increased comfort
- Includes the SpeechExec Basic Transcribe software 2-year subscription
- Priority function allows priority to take urgent shots, not to miss important shots. Wizard can better manage tasks
- The transcription set can be seamlessly integrated into existing Philips digital dictation solutions.
- Olympus RS28H – USB foot pedal with 3 buttons allows you to control the software player in order to comfortably scribe while listening to the audio recording
- The playback audio formats include: DSS PRO, DSS, WAV, WMA, and MP3 (Note: Encrypted DSS Pro files not supported and DSS Player for Mac does not support WMA)
- Olympus E103 Stereo under-chin headphones are designed for transcribing human voice (3.5 mm L-Shaped stereo plug)
- DSS Player Standard – Transcription software for dictation transcribers (Windows) with interface to Dragon Speech Recognition (note: separate software license for DSS Player for Mac included, feature set varies to the Windows version)
- Audio typing foot pedal (RS28H) can also control other software applications which can be controlled via keyboard shortcuts such as VLC media player or MAXQDA media player
- Supports audio files from all Olympus dictation machines, but also from other manufacturers as long the particular audio format is supported.
So, to recap
- Express Scribe Professional Transcription Foot Pedal bundle
Try the Express Scribe foot pedal and software bundle, designed for use on either PC or Mac. It is compatible with all Olympus Digital Voice recorders, Philips Voice recorders, Sony voice recorders, and more. And with everything supplied in one bundle, you will be up and running in no time at all.
- Executive Communication Systems Infinity 3 USB Foot Pedal Control
This ergonomic Infinity foot pedal allows you to rest your foot comfortably while you are transcribing. Simply connect via the USB for a quick and easy set-up. This is my recommendation if you only need to purchase a foot pedal as I personally use this model.
- Olympus RS31H USB Foot Switch with 4 Pedal
The Olympus RS31H USB Foot Pedal with 4 Pedals – This Professional footswitch incorporates 4 buttons that easily control not only Olympus dictation management software (ODMS, DSS Player Standard, Sonority), but also your preferred third-party software. Doesn’t work with Dictation Version or different brand software.
- Philips 7177 SpeechExec Transcription Set (LFH7177/03)
The new ergonomic design of the foot switch provides much more comfort than older models. And with its hands-free controls, all the playback functions can be accessed with minimal physical strain. The lightweight under-chin stereo headphones have excellent sound quality. Also, the soft ear pads provide extra comfort.
- Olympus AS-2400-U1 Transcription Kit – AS-2400-U1 with Foot Control and Headset
The basic transcription kit AS‑2400 guarantees a convenient transcription of audio files. The included 3-button USB foot pedal allows the user to control the DSS Player Standard software with their foot to allow their hands to be free for fast typing.
So, you have chosen audio transcription as one of your services, now how do you effectively deliver that service? You have to consider what equipment you need and also if there are any specific features you need the foot pedal to have. Also, do you need to purchase just the foot pedal, or would you prefer to purchase a complete bundle including the foot pedal, earphones, and supporting software? Also, how do you choose which are the best audio transcription foot pedals on the market?
As with any service you are trying to deliver you must have the right tools to do the job. A carpenter needs woodworking tools, a painter needs a paintbrush, and a surgeon needs a scalpel, otherwise, they are wasting their time. Likewise, an audio transcriptionist, audio typist, or digital transcriber needs the correct tools too.
If you are offering transcription services such as medical transcription services or general digital transcription, you need to ensure you have the correct equipment such as a PC, an audio foot pedal so there is no foot fatigue, headphones to protect your hearing, and compatible transcription software to ensure you can effectively carry out the work.
What is an audio transcription foot pedal?
A foot pedal is designed to allow your foot to deliver the stop, start, and rewind instructions when listening to audio files. The foot directly controls the audio transcription foot pedal which then allows your hands to remain free and focused on your keyboard. Therefore this will allow greater productivity.
When looking for the best foot pedals for your transcription services there are a few things you need to consider such as:
- Width of audio transcription pedal footplate
- Does it have ant-slip features
- Lead length
- USB connection
- Software download
- Physical disc
- Customizable pedals
- Ergonomic design
- Windows and Mac compatible
- Plug & play
- Play/forward/rewind controls are easily accessible from the centerpiece
- USB 1.1/2.0/3.0 compliant
- Wireless connectivity
- Magnetic switch system
Remember to always do your research before purchasing and you should find a foot pedal suitable on the market to suit you.
Don’t want to use an audio transcription foot pedal?
So you don’t want to use an audio foot pedal, what do you do? In fact, do you really need a foot pedal to carry out transcription work? Well, the simple answer is ‘no’, to carry out audio typing you do not need to use a foot pedal. However, in our opinion, it will make life a lot easier if you can use one.
However, if you can’t use a foot pedal, or you prefer to use your hands to operate the transcription software, that is okay too. So if you do not wish to use a foot pedal you will have to set up hotkeys on your computer keyboard to operate the functions via your hands. But that’s another article.
So we have looked at the best audio transcription foot pedals on the market at the moment. Remember when using an audio transcription foot pedal you can easily access the forward, rewind, and pause controls with your foot. This will greatly help with your productivity. Also, the easy movement of your foot on the pedal will allow you to work longer.
There are many things to consider when setting up your office so why not have a look at recommendations for other office products that you may need?