Best way to choose a virtual assistant business name
Do you need to choose a name for your Virtual Assistant business? What is the best way to choose a virtual assistant business name? Let’s look at ‘how do I pick a name for my business’. And also we will look at ‘what to avoid when naming a business’. A virtual assistant business name should be catchy, memorable, and easy to spell.
Find out what makes the business name so unique!
Company names are used to market your business and label products, services, and brands. McDonald’s, for example, uses its company name to market its hamburgers.
There is no magical formula for creating a distinctive business name. Some will be very clear about what they do, such as Regent Stationary Business, or Halls Drycleaners. Or sometimes they can contain surprising or imaginative words which have nothing to do with the underlying business, product, or service. Think of Kodak, which is involved in selling cameras, printers, scanners, and ink cartridges. Or Double Rainbow which makes and sells ice cream.
Choosing your company name
Company names are important because they can distinguish you from your competitors. Choosing a name to reassure customers is a great strategy, or you could choose something more daring that could act as a disruptor in the industry. A good name is something that business customers should remember and associate with your company.
Use of your name can help build a strong brand, whether you come up with innovative ideas or new approaches. Your company name is an important part of your company’s brand identity. It appears on your company logo, business cards, stationery, websites, and promotional materials. It will also be used to identify your company and its products and services.
The most obvious thing to do when you choose your Virtual Assistant business name is to check if the name is already in use. Check through the database of registered companies in your country. Also, look through business directories or trade organizations. This will identify if the name has already been used and in what sector.
Top tips for creating your business name
Now that you know that a good business name is a necessity, you want to know how to create or find one. The following steps give you the best chance to invent a successful business name the first time around.
- Consider the brand value of your company name and how it will be unique and distinguishable from others. (e.g. Mcdonald’s, KFC, Pizza Hut)
- If you start a business based on a product or service and your goal is to sell it, think about including those in the business name. The company name should therefore reflect what you do. (e.g. Price & Waterhouse Solicitors, The Sole Shoe-shop)
- If you think you might want to sell your business one day, it’s best not to name the business after yourself. (e.g. Price Waterhouse & Sons, Finlay’s Fish Emporium)
- Use an online name generator. If you do use an online name generator you may be asked to describe your brand or service in one word. This will help you focus on what your business is all about.
- Check out competitors, you don’t want to be too similar to an existing business name. Especially if you are selling similar products and services.
- Avoid hard-to-spell names.
- Keep it short – you don’t want a long-winded name.
- Secure your domain name as soon as you decide on your name – and before you start creating your brand.
- Conduct a trademark search to ensure it is not already registered.
- Decide on a name that can grow with your business.
- Start at the beginning of the alphabet – think of directories that are alphabetical in order.
- Are you going to operate overseas – does your name work in a foreign language?
Have you any other ideas on the best way to choose a business name? How would you generate Virtual Assistant business name ideas?
We will also look at how to set up the structure of your business in another post.
If you’re looking for a virtual assistant business name, consider using words that mean something. These names will help people understand what your business does and how it works. You can have some fun trying to come up with your business name – ask friends and family, use a name generator, throw Scrabble letters on the floor and try and make a word, but most of all do your research. You want to get it right from the very start as the name will last as long as the business.