What is a side hustle?
What is side hustle meaning? The term ‘side hustle’ is used to refer to any work that is undertaken outside your normal 9 to 5 employment that allows you to earn additional income. It is something additional, and normally different from, your main job.
Side hustles have been around for years and are generally done by anyone wanting to supplement their main income at a time and place that suits them. This is generally not considered as part-time employment as normally it is an activity that you dip in and out of as you have free time. Side hustles are also a good way for budding entrepreneurs to check out the market before taking the plunge and giving up their full-time employment.
Who can start a side hustle?
Anyone! Literally anyone can start a side hustle. For most online side hustles you just need a digital device and a reliable internet connection – simple as that.
So what are the are the best side hustle ideas for mom? Are are you looking for the best side hustles for students? What is the easiest side hustle to do? Are there side hustle jobs from home? Read on.
What can you do as a side hustle?
Oh my, this could be a lengthy list. I have listed below a few things for you consider, but it is really as open/wide as your imagination. Think about your creative side, what drives you, what motivates you to create a side hustle – and then go for it!
|Author||Digital Art||Handmade decor – Etsy & EBay||Podcasting|
|Blogging||Drop shipping||Handmade jewelry – Etsy & EBay||Social Media Manager|
|Coaching||Dog walking||Marketing Consultant||Surveys|
|Content creation on social media||Fitness coach||Painting||Tutoring|
|Content writing||Graphic designer||Party planning||Vlogging|
Benefits of starting a side hustle
- Earn extra income – grow your income over and above your normal earnings
- Have more flexibility – dip in and out when you find the time
- Do something you love – your side hustle should be something you love to do rather than your daily day job
- Understand your potential – are you frightened to take the next step before going solo – use this time to trial your ideas
- Build your portfolio – allow yourself time to explore what works for you and how you can develop your ideas
- Change your career – the perfect opportunity to test the market before you make the ultimate decision to change your career
- Grow in confidence – becoming self-employed brings many advantages including self-development and confidence building
- Meet like-minded people – reach out to others who also run side hustles and gain knowledge and support from them
- Share with others – be willing to add value to what you do and be prepared to share with others
Cons of starting a side hustle
- No down time – once you finish your day job you are straight into running your side hustle thereby affecting your work/life balance
- Additional stress – a side hustle can take up family time and requires dedication to keep it running
- Running costs – you will need to set aside time and money to keep up to date with the administration of your side hustle, think of those tax returns
- It can affect your day job – you can end up thinking more about the side hustle and less time on your day job
- What am I worth – how do you put a price on your time and effort – are you getting a financial reward from what you are doing
Whether you are looking to supplement your income, or you are looking for a career change and wanting to test the markets, a side hustle is a fantastic opportunity to earn extra money. With very little outlay you could be up and running in no time at all. Why not give it a go – you have nothing to loose.