Thinking of returning to the world of work after maternity leave? But does that mean you should return as an employee to the office?
So, should you return to work after maternity? Naturally thinking of returning to work after maternity leave can be difficult for some new parents. While some are fully embracing the joys of parenthood others are dusting down their work suits and updating their CVs at the earliest opportunity. Returning to work after maternity can be an exciting time but there are practical issues to consider both for the parent and baby:
- Job location – consider travel time, try dummy runs
- Hours of work – consider your daily schedule and any overtime requirements
- Responsibilities – shop floor, clerical, managerial, director, CEO
- Childcare – registered day-care, local childminder, private nanny, grandparents, etc.
- Financial – commuting costs, childcare costs
Is there an alternative?
But hey, wait a minute … there may be an alternative!!! Do you really need to go out to a workplace to return to work, or are you able to utilize all of today’s technology to get you working again?
If you are an employee, then your employer may be happy for you to adopt a hybrid approach – so some days working in the office and some days working from home.
During the global Covid 19 pandemic employers had to look at new ways of working. Social distancing applies equally to staff as to customers. Obviously working remotely is not suitable for all sectors but equally those companies who have been able to introduce remote working have been able to avoid a lot of disruption.
But what if you don’t want to head back to the office as an employee? What are your options? Well, have you ever thought about taking the leap and branching out on your own? Have you ever thought about setting up as a remote worker and starting your own business as a virtual assistant? Have you looked at remote working and how to find remote work jobs?
Return to work after maternity or start your own business?
There are many reasons why people choose to start their own business.
- The thrill of running your own business
- The ability to offer a niche service
- Provide a service to a niche market
- The option to set your own hours
- The power to choose what work to undertake
- No involvement in the office politics
- No office commute is required if working remotely
- More control over your work/life/family balance
- Opportunity to set your own rates and porentially earn more
What type of remote work can I do when I return to work after maternity?
There are plenty of remote working opportunities covering a myriad of roles. The services listed below are generally completed in offices on a daily basis and are also suitable for remote workers.
- Audio transcription work
- Word processing
- Data management
- Data entry
- Call handling
- Email management
- Excel spreadsheet developer
- Social media management
- Website design, development, and support
- Website maintenance
- Content creation
- Translation service
- Diary management
- Mail shots
- Project management
- Customer service
Who would use a Virtual Assistant/Remote Worker?
The world is your oyster when considering who could be your prospective clients – here is a short list to start you off:
- Private practice medical companies
- Accountancy firms
- Television companies
- Independent Financial Advisors
- Marketing Firms
- Professors and Research Fellows
- Property firms
- Estate Agents & Letting Agents
- Business & Life Coaches
- Independent Insurance Brokers
- Start-up businesses
- Writers and Bloggers
- Legal Firms – solicitors offices, independent barristers, etc.
- Charities and not-for-profit Organizations
We hope that has been of interest and whetted your appetite. If you want to explore more about becoming a remote worker and running your own business, then this article may be of interest to you ‘Virtual Assistant startup guide’. This will help you focus on areas of setting up and running your business before you accept that first client. From choosing your company name through to purchasing insurance there is something there for everyone to consider.
Also if there is anything else you would like to know about becoming a remote worker please drop us a line and we will gladly try to help you.